Saturday, January 31, 2009

Musings of the New Year

Wow, haven't posted since October 1st. Not that I haven't had anything to say, I just haven't said it. But someone told me they missed my musing , however rambling they may be. So here I am again. 2008 rolled out like a lion. I managed 2 plane trips in November - one to Florida to visit my friends and had a great time and one to London to visit my baby girl. We spent Thanksgiving there and of course I had a cold. I couldn't go to Europe without one, it just wouldn't be right.

I fell in love with, (okay, okay, I admit it, I called her dog ugly) Berlina puppy. The little miniature dappled black and tan daschund puppy they have. We went to training class with them and when she was in school Alan and I or just Alan one day walked Berlina in the park. The "park" is Battersea Park in London. Full of ponds and in the summer, you can even rent paddle boats. It is very large and I was taken to all of Alyssa's favorite spots. The tree behind her is a "Strawberry Tree". Yes a tree, not a bush or plant and it does not grow strawberries. It had a sign - some type of hybrid. They have quite a few unique trees in the park. This is her favorite. She came home for Christmas and it was wonderful. She is now back at school in the middle of her second year of the program. She may stay through the summer months - and roll right into her third year for completion.

But January rolled in and here we are. I was talking to a work colleague I had not seen in a while last week and we exchanged the usual pleasantries, "how are your kids, how old are they now, what are they doing?" etc. We talked about hers in pre-school and mine in London. She told me how she lived a time in California and just missed her mom so much she came home after 2 years. She said "sometimes there is just no replacing mom, even with a phone call". And, so I realize how short my time is with my mom. She continues to decline in hospice care. The lack of oxygen to her brain causes her to be confused at times. But overall her mind is sharp. I want to remember the fun times for my children while they are still fresh in my mind. Some days, it is hard. This song keeps playing on my IPOD - like a bruise you have to press. "The Best Day" by Taylor Swift. There are two areas of the lyrics I find poignant - the chorus and an area where she talks about a bad day at school and how growing up (she is 19 in real life now) comes the knowledge of how much our parents love us no matter what.

I don't who I'm going to talk to now at school
I know I'm laughing on the car ride home with you
I don't know how long it's going to take to feel ok,
but I had the best day with you today.

Now I know why the trees change in the fall
I know you were on my side even when I was wrong
and I love you for giving me your eyes
staying back and watching me shine and
I did not know if you knew
so I'm taking this chance to say
That I had the best day with you today.


So from time to time you may find a memory story here - not every story had a "successful" ending, but my parents were there for me each step of the way. And here I am today, successful with 3 great kids. I have my own foibles - they make me unique and to a large part, I too have my parents to thank for those.

Thank you mom and dad. I love you.

No comments: