Thursday, March 08, 2007

VISIT TO POLAND 3.8.2007 - ALYSSA'S BIRTHDAY

Today is Alyssa's Birthday. I miss her. It was 20 years ago she was born and I remember it as if it were yesterday. I wonder where it went so quickly and how I got this beautiful young woman as my daughter. I hope she takes away from this trip that there is a full life out there and takes advantage of the opportunities out there for her. Here is Alan's journal for today, Alyssa's Birthday. It is now March 9th in Berlin. Happy Birthday my beautiful Daughter.

March 8, 2007
Up early and breakfast then to the train. We missed the first train and had to catch the next on a half hour later. While we looked around at the Central Station in Berlin, we learned that we did not have to go all the way here and could have taken the train from were we changed subway trains and then would have made the correct train. While waiting we had a cup of hot chocolate and watched two large people in Kangaroo suits walk around handing out information on Australia. The ride to Frankfurt am Order was uneventful (except the conductor did not know how to read the ticket and I had to explain it to her), but we got to sit up top which was very cool in my opinion.

Arrived in Frankfurt am Oder, had a Burger King snack. and walked a mile or so and found the Tourist Information Center and were pointed in the direction of Poland. But wait a H&M store was a cross the street so Alyssa had to take another picture of the H&M sign. Wait, this time a picture was not good enough, we had to go in and look for a cap for Alyssa. We got Alyssa a cap and I got one too. Hey I actually like it and will continue to wear it at home. I digress, we then headed to Slubice, Poland. We crossed the bridge and looked over the town. Alyssa did not like it and was not impressed. I was impressed by the lack of tourist stands and souvenirs. Was not able to by anything except lunch. We stopped it to a hotel for lunch and it was very good and very different. I found the food to be a combination of German and (I think) Polish. They had stuff I recognized and stuff I did not. It was very good and cheap. Food in Poland is much cheaper then in Germany. After lunch we crossed back and it is like they don’t get many Americans crossing the border. We were in a line of people and as we approached the window everyone ahead of us was gone and we were given a real good once over and delayed all those behind us as they did their thing with our passports. Soon as we were finished, the entire line was let through without much inspection. Back on German soil. Caught a bus to go back to the train station, and when we attempted to buy our tickets the machine did not work. One of the other passengers was doing the same and putting money in and it would just fall through. An older guy tried to help and drew a lot of attention to us and he could not get it to work either. So in the end we rode free. Hopped the train and headed back to Berlin.

Got back much earlier then we thought we would so headed for the Zoo train station and check the mail on the internet. We also checked on trains for tomorrow when we go to Frankfurt. Got a good train schedule and made seat reservations. Then took the 100 bus for a tour of the city and came back out toward Honow for dinner. We were going to go to Mexicoplatz, but when I looked on the map I did not want to ride the U-bahn that much. So we were going to head toward Honow and stop somewhere to eat. Alyssa was not happy about this and does not like going into areas she does not know. In the end we ate at a restaurant next to the hotel. Again Alyssa’s luck holds out and it was Ladies night at this restaurant and she got free champagne. Dinner was again very good and we are now back at the hotel. I went down to the lobby and checked my mail and Alyssa stayed in the room. The lobby has a nice 24 hour bar and you can get small stuff 24 hours a day. The hotel is way out I found it to be a nice place, however they do cater to business and school groups. So tonight was a Italian school group and the kids liked to run up and down the halls until 2400. That must have been their curfew time.

No comments: