Monday, January 01, 2007

Leaving Minnesota

Leaving Minnesota is always heartbreaking for me. I hate leaving my mom - hate the long drive home. This drive was not as long. I drove only as far as the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, Wi, where Alan, Alyssa and the Dewitt Family awaited me. I left mom's at 0830 and made it to the Kalahari at 1430 exactly. The road conditions were not as favorable as one would have liked. It started snowing on Friday, cleared for awhile then started sleeting, icing and snowing again Saturday night.

So, during the last drive home - in November, I started a new ritual. Picture taking. Yes, I am one of those crazy people with a camera - and I am the driver. But I should mention... Today, I was the ONLY person on the road. Seriously, I had one person behind me, but they didn't stick around when I stopped in Floodwood for a window cleaning. I didn't dare take a picture before Floodwood, Mn... the road required 2 hands and nerves of steel. I know, you are looking at this picture going, and this was... ? and my answer is... less insane.

Now for the geography, Mom and dad live just outside of Grand Rapids, MN. I drive through Duluth (Hwy 53, Hwy 35N, Hwy 2) and stay on 2 all the way to Hwy 169. It is about 90 miles from Duluth to Mom's driveway - give or take a few miles. All 2 lane roads, with passing lanes to help get around the trucks. Floodwood is about the halfway point and has a few gas stations, a 24 hour store and is lit up on lonely night drives. The picture is just snow covered trees for Alan. He keeps telling me he misses snow.

So we had a great night at the waterpark and everyone really enjoyed themselves. Alan surprised me with a present. A new cell phone. Same plan, same number. Just a new model phone. I need to take it to a Verizon dealer and get everything transferred. Guess what color it is - pick any color - just guess.

Love,
Lorene

No comments: